Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What Point Are You At in Life?



This morning, as I was brushing my teeth, I looked at my toothpaste. Suddenly and without warning, I realized that the days of having small children in my home were fast leaving me. How did I come to this "revelation" just by looking at a tube of toothpaste? Most mothers know a mother's home by the vast amounts of "baby products" in the home. Your home becomes taken over by cribs, toys, strollers in the back of your car, diapers, wipes, baby shampoo etc... These baby items are taken slowly from your home so that you don't notice the subtle changes in your life. For instance, I can't remember even having a stroller in the back of my car, it has been replaced for 4 years with baseball equipment. I jump for joy when I pass the diaper isle at Wal-mart knowing I don't have to spend our money on poop control. But it is the subtle things that finally make me realize that I have left the "young mother's club" and moved on to the pre-teen teen era. Of course I have joined the ranks of the moms with big cell phone bills. At a point on a recent vacation we joked about our family having not one cell phone, not two cell phones, not three cell phones....but yes...count them yes....5 cell phone lines while on VACATION! We could be reached no matter what.
However...the most subtle difference of all? I only buy adult TOOTHPASTE now. Even Mitchell wants minty toothpaste instead of a fruit flavor. And some how that made me very meloncholy this morning. I began to think about my children and how fast motherhood has flown by. I realize that the ONLY baby product I buy for my 8 year old son now is children's shampoo.
STOP THE MERRY GO ROUND...I want to stay in young motherhood for a while!

No comments: