Thursday, September 11, 2008

O Remember, Remember

I was studying my lesson yesterday for Sunday School. I came across a quote from our late Prophet Spencer W. Kimball. He issued us the challenge of remembering. This was in the context of remembering the human pride cycle and trying our best to break free of it.

As I tucked my children in bed last night. I excitedly told them that their father would be flying to Hawaii overnight and that he would be home soon for a day. My daughter got a horrified look on her face and said to me "Mom! He is flying on September 11th!! I had not even thought about it. It is strange how for many years we superstitiously would not fly on the anniversary of this great tragedy. Now, 7 years after searing fear into our hearts, I did not even make the connection that my husband would be traveling on such a tragic anniversary!

I do not fear his travel on this day any more than any other day. Each day I am grateful to hear his voice and thankful when he safely returns to us. I laid in bed last night and pondered how quickly the nation "forgot" and also how quickly I forgot. I haven't forgotten what our country needed to learn but get bogged down in daily life.

I do need to take a moment and thank my Heavenly Father for our country. Thank him for leaders that have worked tirelessly to keep our country safe...even in the face of extreme scrutiny and criticism from fellow Americans. I have an eight year old son. My son was a toddler of only 18 months when this awful day occurred. His lifetime has only known a
"Changed America"

I am saddened that there were a few TV networks that only skimmed over the fact that it was such an important day. HOW SAD!?! Do they really want us to forget? Is it easier for their political agenda if we as a nation forget what we are fighting for? Our liberty, our freedom, our families, our wifes, and our children? Sort of sounds like the "Title of Liberty"?

WE CAN NOT FORGET !!!

2 comments:

Amy Girl said...

Thanks Heidi.

Laura said...

I kind of had the same thought today. It didn't even occur to me that it was September 11th until I wrote a check. I remembered how it seems like it happened so long ago. I really hope that as a country we can one day find the unity that was felt those few months after 9/11.